Mastering Motivation: Activate Inner Drive to Become Self-Motivated
Mastering Motivation: Activate Your Inner Drive to Become Self-Motivated
I'm baaaack! After nearly two years away, I'm relaunching my podcast and am excited to bring you this short coaching episode on mastering self-motivation.
Today I'm sharing the 4 most common reasons why people struggle with getting or staying self-motivated, and HOW to overcome them. When I conducted a poll on my social media, people ranked these four in this order:
1. Being consistent
2. Getting started
3. Desire (wanting it bad enough)
4. Clarity of vision (what's the best case if this thing happens?)
But the truth is, this list is all upside own, which probably explains why you may have struggled to stay motivated, or become self-motivated. If you flip this list and take the coaching advice in this episode you'll see how much easier it is to stay motivated.
1. Get a clear vision -You can't achieve anything if you are not clear on what it is you want and how it will look and feel to live it in real life. In your journal ask yourself these questions:
What is my desired end result? (Be specific)
What is the BEST case scenario of that outcome?
What is the moment I am most looking forward to when it comes true, or when I've achieved it? (Be specific)
How would that feel to be living that moment?
What impact would it have on my life when it's achieved? What if anything would change?
What makes me excited when I think about this thing being accomplished or coming true?
2. Desire. Desire is the ultimate way to be self-motivated, it fuels your motivation. When you want something bad enough, you find a way to make it happen, right? But most people skip this step, or THINK they want it, but haven't actually nurtured the idea long enough, or in the most productive way to create genuine and burning desire.
How bad do I want this to come true?
Why do I care if it does or not?
How will it make my life/me better?
How will it impact the people I love? Or will it?
Do I want it MORE than I want things to remain as they are?
What are the benefits to achieving this goal or living this dream?
3. GET STARTED. When you want something bad enough, allow yourself to daydream about it often, there comes a point when you need to take action!
When you set yourself up for success on the small things, that adds up to BIG wins... you create a positive environment for consistency to grow and thrive naturally. Stack your wins, when you do you'll naturally be so much more motivated to show up regularly and keep doing 1-3 small things each day, those will move the needle. This leads to building confidence, creates momentum and fuels your desire every day.
Here are my 2 tips for becoming self-motivated:
1. Make a master list of EVERYTHING you can think of that relates to the thing you want to do/accomplish. This is a massive brain dump. Don't categorize it or overthink it, just get it all out of your head and on paper. Keep it someplace where you can easily add to it as you think of new things.
2. Make a "Today I Will" list. Pull 1-3 things off your master list every day, and make a short list each morning. Make sure these are things you know you can accomplish or make measurable progress in on that day, so that you can cross them off the master list.
If this episode and journal work was helpful, please be kind and spread the love! Share the episode and tag me :) Comment on my Instagram @sarahcentrella and let me know if you applied this advice. xo