Self-Awareness 101: How to Become Self-Aware
Today I'm doing a short coaching episode on HOW to start your self-discovery journey and how to dive deep into becoming self-aware. I'm providing some of the thought-provoking journal prompts I give to clients to guide you through your surface thoughts and emotions, to ultimately tap into your deeper more reflective, honest analysis of why you do the things you do, and help you get to know yourself in a deeper way.
Grab your journal and HONESTLY answer these introspective questions aimed to teach you basic self-awareness.
We always start with the positive, let's first identify what's going right...
- What do I love/like about myself?
- What is my best quality?
- When people describe me, what are the positive things strangers, friends, and family say?
Now it's time for the tougher, deep, HONEST work....
- What is my worst trait?
- What are 3-5 things I know I need to change or work on about myself?
- What is my worst trait or character flaw?
-Looking at my past 5 years, can I identify 3-5 self-sabotaging behaviors that have come up more than once? (In any area of my life)
- In an argument, do I take accountability and ownership for my part in the disagreement or what led to it?
- Do I apologize sincerely when I am wrong, and understand why what I did impacted the other person the way it did?
- When presented with negative or critical feedback, how do I normally react?
- Can I usually see someone else's point of view even if I don't agree with it?
- Am I aware of how I affect other people?
-Can I notice when my behavior or actions are bothering them and adjust if needed to consider others' feelings?
- What role (be specific) have I played in the things that have "gone wrong" in my past?
- How did my actions, decisions, or behaviors impact the outcome, and can I take responsibility and accountability for that?
- What are 3 NEW things I've been able to see or identify about myself by doing this work, that I would like to improve, grow, or change?
Tune in as we unravel the layers of self-awareness, offering insights and strategies to navigate the path toward a more authentic and enlightened version of yourself.
Save this episode and come back to it in a few months, test yourself, have you become more open to feedback? More aware of your actions, reactions, decisions, and their impact on others?
I'm a big believer in emotional intelligence, and improving mine is a continuous working journey. Taking this test helped me asses where I am on that growth chart and might also help you understand these concepts even more. TAKE THE TEST.